Back in 1997, I helped Kara Swisher write her first book: AOL.COM, the story of a then-small tech company that was changing the way we communicate. Working with Kara marked the start of a career helping people to write nonfiction books — from ghostwriting to “book doctoring” and everything in between.
Since then, I’ve helped clients write 17 published nonfiction books, including 8 New York Times best sellers.
My clients have come from all walks of life, including the worlds of music, business, politics, movies and TV. From jazz great Herbie Hancock, to California Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, to gospel singer (and mother of Whitney Houston) Cissy Houston, to the actor Patrick Swayze, I’ve had the good fortune to meet and work with some truly inspiring people.
Selected books and reviews:
- “Compelling… [a] deeply moving book.” – Los Angeles Times, Top Ten books of 2015
Herbie Hancock: Possibilities, by Herbie Hancock with Lisa Dickey (Viking Adult, 2014)
- “Melodically weaving the notes of his personal life around his exploration of numerous music genres… Hancock elegantly composes a tuneful sound track of his life in music.” – Publishers Weekly, starred review
Remembering Whitney, by Cissy Houston with Lisa Dickey (Harper, 2013) — New York Times Best Seller
- “[Houston] paints a picture of her daughter’s life… that is both triumphant and anguished.” – Boston Globe
Citizenville, by Gavin Newsom with Lisa Dickey (Penguin Group, 2013)
- “Fresh and lively… empowering, motivating” – Kirkus Reviews
The Time of My Life, by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi (Atria, 2009) — New York Times Best Seller
- “Heartwarming and brave.” – The Daily Mail
The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower, by Robert Baer (Crown, 2008) — New York Times Best Seller
- “An important text studded with keen insights” – Kirkus Reviews
Basic Black, by Cathie Black (Crown Business, 2007) — New York Times Best Seller
- “Black’s insights… are hard-won, and her wisdom, set down here, has the potential to enrich careers and lives.” — USA Today